Some of the things I currently do:
- I run a boutique marketing agency – Motherlode
- I produce the “Life Of Caesar” podcast.
- I also produce the Life Of Alexander podcast, which is a subscription-only show about Alexander The Great.
- I also produce A Cold War podcast.
- I’m also writing a book called “The War On Your Mind” about corporatism, politics, and psychopaths.
- I wrote a book late 2011 called “The Three Illusions” which examines the intersection of non-duality philosophy and quantum physics. There’s also a podcast.
- I’m one of the organisers of Sunday Assembly Brisbane, a secular church for people who don’t believe in religion or god.
- My latest podcast is The Bullshit Filter, a current affairs show.
Some of the things I used to do:
- July 2010 – April 2012: Perdomo Cigars Australia Pty Ltd. Marketing Manager.
I was responsible for all aspects of digital and offline marketing, sales and customer service. When I came onboard, I built the business a new website, optimised it for search, and developed the social strategy which included a combination of Twitter, Facebook, podcast and YouTube tactics. In the first 90 days I took brand from nowhere on Google to the first page for all major keyword search terms. Using search and social marketing, I grew sales by 1200% year-on-year (Feb 11 – Feb 12).
- July 2009 – June 2010: GDP Group (now part of Clemenger Group). Digital Strategy Manager.
I was brought into the GDP agency (a large integrated advertising agency which was sold to Clemenger Group in 2010) initially on a 30-day contract to aid their web development division to develop social strategies for some clients. On the basis of the quality of that work, the contract was extended for 12 months. As I was the only digital strategist in the agency I was referred to in client presentations as “Head Of Digital Strategy”. I represented the entire digital division (including web development) at client pitches. I consulted on digital strategy (including web development, SEO, SEM, Social) to a broad range of clients. In terms of major achievements, my SEO & SEM strategy increased one Real Estate client’s site UV by 800% over a 90 days period.
- 2008 – 2009: Freelance Digital Strategist.
As an independent consultant, I produced digital and social media strategies for a long list of large and small clients, including Telstra, Microsoft, City of Melbourne, Tourism Victoria, Tourism QLD, Brisbane Marketing, Wotnews, Instyle Pergolas, Data3, WardyIT, Homer Hudson.
- 2004 – 2008: The Podcast Network. Co-founder.
In November 2004, I co-created the first podcast recorded in Australia, “G’Day World”. This lead to being the co-founder of the first podcast business in the world – The Podcast Network. After my partner left the business in 2005, I built it up and ran it for the next 3 years. At our peak in early 2008, we were producing over 1000 hours a month of audio, video and website content for a global audience of 500,000 people and managing the output of 100 worldwide contractors. When the GFC ramped up in late 2008, our advertising revenue disappeared almost overnight and I was forced to shut the business down. However, the site and most of the podcasts are still online.
My better known podcasts include The Napoleon Bonaparte Podcast, G’Day World, The No Illusions Podcast, Cameron Reads The Bible, The Advaita Show and Single Man Cooking.
- 1998 – 2004: Microsoft Australia. National E-business Solution Specialist.
I was hired by Microsoft in 1998 to be the “online guy” in their Melbourne office. I presented to their large enterprise CIO clients and “dot com” clients (including Seek, Wishlist and dStore) about online paradigms and strategies. This turned into a national role in 1999. After the dot com crash in 2000, I lead the development and execution of Microsoft’s “Biztalk” e-business solution strategy across Australia. This involved working with large enterprise CIOs to develop and execute business process re-engineering solutions, integrating disparate software systems.
- 1996 – 1998: Ozemail Ltd. Corporate Sales Manager, Victoria. Back in the early days of the Internet, we were out there explaining to CIOs (or MIS managers as they were called) what “html” was and why their employees needed email.
- 1994 – 1996: Entreg Pty Ltd. Sales And Marketing Representative (corporate video production)
- 1993 – 1994: Pamacorp Holding Pty Ltd. Sales and Marketing Associate (financial services)
- 1990 – 1993: Ford Credit Australia. Credit Analyst.
- 1988 – 1990: Citibank. Stock market account manager.
- 1983 – 1987: Kepnock State High School, Bundaberg, QLD, Australia.
- I was awarded the “Legion Of Merit” in France in 2008 for my contributions to Napoleonic history. Yes, I’m that much of a nerd.
I live in Brisbane, Australia.
We have a baby, Fox.
I also have twin teenage boys, Hunter and Taylor.
I like to play chess.