Australia’s Original Podcaster.
That’s my main claim to fame.
If by “fame” you mean “weren’t you in the paper once up on a time?”.
I started working in the online space in 1995 when I built my first website for my local video store (for free) so I could find out what new titles they had coming in. I also set them up with an email marketing system which included giving them a large bag of Ozemail starter kits to hand out to customers who didn’t have an email address. Since then I’ve had a huge range of experience – from being “the online guy” at Microsoft in the late 90s to being the first person in Australia to record a podcast in 2004 (The G’Day World Podcast, which turned into “The No Illusions Podcast” which is now hosted here on CameronReilly.com); from running the world’s first podcast business to advising clients on digital strategy for a Brisbane agency and, most recently, running the successful digital strategy for a small business. I’ve always been an early adopter and have tried to use my knowledge of the latest digital tools to drive business value. I believe I have a rare and valuable combination of corporate, agency and real-world business experience.
My Work Experience:
- What I’m Doing These Days
As of June 2012 I’m consulting to a number of businesses on marketing strategy with my new firm Motherlode. I’m also writing a book called “Enlightened Self Interest” about how we can make the world a better place. I wrote a book late 2011 called “The Three Illusions” which talks about the intersection of non-duality philosophy and quantum physics.
- July 2010 – April 2012: Perdomo Cigars Australia Pty Ltd. Digital Marketing Manager.
I was responsible for all aspects of digital and offline marketing, sales and customer service. When I came onboard, I built the business a new website, optimised it for search, and developed the social strategy which included a combination of Twitter, Facebook, podcast and YouTube tactics. In the first 90 days I took brand from nowhere on Google to the first page for all major keyword search terms. Using search and social marketing, I grew sales by 1200% year-on-year (Feb 11 – Feb 12).
- July 2009 – June 2010: GDP Group (now part of Clemenger Group). Digital Strategy Specialist.
I was brought into the GDP agency (a large integrated advertising agency which was sold to Clemenger Group in 2010) initially on a 30-day contract to aid their web development division to develop social strategies for some clients. On the basis of the quality of that work, the contract was extended for 12 months. As I was the only digital strategist in the agency I was referred to in client presentations as “Head Of Digital Strategy”. I represented the entire digital division (including web development) at client pitches. I consulted on digital strategy (including web development, SEO, SEM, Social) to a broad range of clients. In terms of major achievements, my SEO & SEM strategy increased one Real Estate client’s site UV by 800% over a 90 days period.
- 2008 – 2009: Freelance Digital Strategist.
As an independent consultant, I produced digital and social media strategies for a long list of large and small clients, including Telstra, Microsoft, City of Melbourne, Tourism Victoria, Tourism QLD, Brisbane Marketing, Wotnews, Instyle Pergolas, Data3, WardyIT, Homer Hudson.
- 2004 – 2008: The Podcast Network. Co-founder.
In November 2004, I co-created the first podcast recorded in Australia, “G’Day World”. This lead to being the co-founder of the first podcast business in the world – The Podcast Network. After my partner left the business in 2005, I built it up and ran it for the next 3 years. At our peak in early 2008, we were producing over 1000 hours a month of audio, video and website content for a global audience of 500,000 people and managing the output of 100 worldwide contractors. When the GFC ramped up in late 2008, our advertising revenue disappeared almost overnight and I was forced to shut the business down. However, the site and most of the podcasts are still online.
My better known podcasts include The Napoleon Bonaparte Podcast, G’Day World, The No Illusions Podcast, Cameron Reads The Bible, The Advaita Show and Single Man Cooking.
- 1998 – 2004: Microsoft Australia. National E-business Solution Specialist.
I was hired by Microsoft in 1998 to be the “online guy” in their Melbourne office. I presented to their large enterprise CIO clients and “dot com” clients (including Seek, Wishlist and dStore) about online paradigms and strategies. This turned into a national role in 1999. After the dot com crash in 2000, I lead the development and execution of Microsoft’s “Biztalk” e-business solution strategy across Australia. This involved working with large enterprise CIOs to develop and execute business process re-engineering solutions, integrating disparate software systems.
- 1996 – 1998: Ozemail Ltd. Corporate Sales Manager, Victoria. Back in the early days of the Internet, we were out there explaining to CIOs (or MIS managers as they were called) what “html” was and why their employees needed email.
- 1994 – 1996: Entreg Pty Ltd. Sales And Marketing Representative (corporate video production)
- 1993 – 1994: Pamacorp Holding Pty Ltd. Sales and Marketing Associate (financial services)
- 1990 – 1993: Ford Credit Australia. Credit Analyst.
- 1988 – 1990: Citibank. Stock market account manager.
- 1983 – 1987: Kepnock State HIgh School, Bundaberg, QLD, Australia.
- I published my first book in 2011. It’s called “The Three Illusions” and is an attempt to bridge quantum physics and philosophy.
- Over the last 7 years I have interviewed a great many business leaders, visionaries, scientists and tech industry leaders on my various podcasts. I’ve interviewed people such as Noam Chomsky and Ray Kurzweil. It’s been a hoot.
- I was awarded the “Legion Of Merit” in France in 2008 for my contributions to Napoleonic history. Yes, I’m that much of a nerd.
- Tel: 0498 015 853
- Email: [email protected]
- Twitter: @cameronreilly
- Skype: cameronreilly
Reading – I read. A lot. Here’s a list.
- You might also like these posts:
- Chomsky: America's Rank Hypocrisy -- Why Is it Only an "Atrocity" When Other Countries Do It?
- Brilliant New Pilger Documentary Highlights The Lies We Are Told
- The Reality Conversation from My Dinner With Andre
- Chomsky: It's Hard To Look Into The Mirror.
- No Illusions Podcast #59 - Benjamin Walker, Psychopathic Entrepreneurs