What I do:
THE PSYCHOPATH EPIDEMIC
- I’ve written a couple of non-fiction books. The latest is called “The Psychopath Epidemic”, published in January 2020, and it puts forward the theory that the biggest problem facing the world today is that we have too many psychopaths in positions of power.
- My first book was “The Three Illusions” (2011), about scientific pantheism, why free will is an illusion, and how to live happily in the moment.
- I’ve also written a guide to making money from podcasting.
MARKETING THE MESSIAH
- I’m the writer, producer and host of a secular documentary about early Christianity called “Marketing The Messiah” which was released in early 2020. You can stream it here.
- With my mate Tony Kynaston, I produce a weekly podcast about investing in shares. Tony’s been a very successful investor for 25+ years and he’s teaching me everything he knows.
THE PODCAST NETWORK
- On top of the investing podcast mentioned above, I also produce a handful of other podcasts on The Podcast Network, mostly about history (eg Caesar, Alexander, Napoleon, the Cold War, the Renaissance), current affairs (The Bullshit Filter), and philosophy (The Three Illusions). There’s also a podcast to accompany the psychopath book.
MOTHERLODE MARKETING AGENCY
- I used to run a boutique marketing agency – Motherlode Marketing. We do all of the usual stuff like logo design, brand development, website design, video production, brochure design, etc. But our main strength is writing marketing strategy. But these days I tend to be busy with my own projects and don’t take on many new clients – unless, of course, the project is too cool to ignore.
What I used to do:
- July 2010 – April 2012: Perdomo Cigars Australia Pty Ltd. Marketing Manager.
I love a good cigar, so for a couple of years I ran the marketing for an Australian cigar business. We had a bustling website and cigar lounge in Brisbane.
- July 2009 – June 2010: GDP Group (now part of Clemenger Group). Digital Strategy Manager.
I was brought into the GDP agency (a large integrated advertising agency which was sold to Clemenger Group in 2010) initially on a 30-day contract to aid their web development division to develop social strategies for some clients. On the basis of the quality of that work, the contract was extended for 12 months. As I was the only digital strategist in the agency I was referred to in client presentations as “Head Of Digital Strategy”. I represented the entire digital division (including web development) at client pitches. I consulted on digital strategy (including web development, SEO, SEM, Social) to a broad range of clients. In terms of major achievements, my SEO & SEM strategy increased one Real Estate client’s site UV by 800% over a 90 days period.
- 2008 – 2009: Freelance Digital Strategist.
As an independent consultant, I produced digital and social media strategies for a long list of large and small clients, including Telstra, Microsoft, City of Melbourne, Tourism Victoria, Tourism QLD, Brisbane Marketing, Wotnews, Instyle Pergolas, Data3, WardyIT, Homer Hudson.
- 2004 – now: The Podcast Network. Co-founder.
In November 2004, I co-created the first podcast recorded in Australia, “G’Day World”. This lead to being the co-founder of the first podcast business in the world – The Podcast Network. After my partner left the business in 2005, I built it up and ran it for the next 3 years. At our peak in early 2008, we were producing over 1000 hours a month of audio, video and website content for a global audience of 500,000 people and managing the output of 100 worldwide contractors. When the GFC ramped up in late 2008, our advertising revenue disappeared almost overnight and I was forced to shut the business down. However, I re-booted it again in 2013 with a new business model. Back in the mid-2000s I got a fair bit of media coverage. This is me on the front cover of a now-defunct business magazine.
- 1998 – 2004: Microsoft Australia. National E-business Solution Specialist.
I was hired by Microsoft in 1998 to be the “online guy” in their Melbourne office. I presented to their large enterprise CIO clients and “dot com” clients (including Seek, Wishlist and dStore) about online paradigms and strategies. This turned into a national role in 1999. After the dot com crash in 2000, I lead the development and execution of Microsoft’s “Biztalk” e-business solution strategy across Australia. This involved working with large enterprise CIOs to develop and execute business process re-engineering solutions, integrating disparate software systems.
- 1996 – 1998: Ozemail Ltd. Corporate Sales Manager, Victoria. Back in the early days of the Internet, we were out there explaining to CIOs (or MIS managers as they were called) what “html” was and why their employees needed email.
- 1994 – 1996: Entreg Pty Ltd. Sales And Marketing Representative (corporate video production)
- 1993 – 1994: Pamacorp Holding Pty Ltd. Sales and Marketing Associate (financial services)
- 1990 – 1993: Ford Credit Australia. Credit Analyst.
- 1988 – 1990: Citibank. Stock market account manager.
- 1983 – 1987: Kepnock State High School, Bundaberg, QLD, Australia.
- I was awarded the “Legion Of Merit” in France in 2008 for my contributions to Napoleonic history. Yes, I’m that much of a nerd.
I live in Brisbane, Australia.
We have one child, Fox.
I also have twin adult boys, Hunter and Taylor.
I like to play chess. Invite me to a game.