The outrage over the suggestion that Russia might have provided or sold the rocket launcher that downed MH17 and killed 300 civilians is such a joke when the annual total of civilians deaths from small arms sales by the permanent members of the UNSC makes that 300 look like a blip.
My data is a little out of date, but I’m sure nothing much has changed. Here are some facts for you to consider.
1. Some 300,000 to half a million people around the world are killed by them each year. (globalissues.org 2006)
2. World military expenditure in 2012 is estimated to have reached $1.756 trillion. (globalissues.org 2012)
3. The 5 UN Security Council permanent members are generally the largest arms dealers. (globalissues.org 2013)
4. The USA is responsible for 44% of arms sales. (globalissues.org 2013)
5. Therefore, if there are between 300K – 500K people killed by small arms every year, and the USA is responsible for 44% of arms sales, then we can assume that the USA is responsible for somewhere in the region of 176,000 deaths every year.
Remember this the next time you hear Obama or Abbott decrying Putin.